This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Housing options

This content applies to England

Information on different housing options and local authority allocations, including specific guidance for those with particular housing needs.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and housing

Information on emergency measures introduced to deal with the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that impact on housing, including protection measures for tenants, homeowners and changes to court processes. 

Emergency accommodation

Options available to people who need accommodation urgently because they are homeless or about to become homeless. 

Local authority housing

Applying to a local authority for social housing. 

PRPSHs and housing associations

How PRPSHs operate and what security of tenure occupiers have. 

Regulation of social housing providers

Information on the regulation of social housing providers in England. 

Private rented accommodation

Information about advising people who are looking for accommodation in the private rented sector. 

Paying for accommodation

Paying for rented accommodation. 


Provisions regarding paying a deposit to secure rented accommodation and recovering the deposit at the end of the tenancy. 

Accommodation agencies

Accommodation and letting agencies: what they are, how to use them and the legislation that controls what services they are allowed to charge for. 

Housing with care and support

The housing options for people, primarily older and disabled adults, who need care and/or support. Information on using the Care Act 2014 to access services in order to remain at home, and moving to more suitable accommodation 

Young people and care leavers

Housing rights and options of young people and care leavers, including the duties of local authorities towards them under the homelessness legislation and the Children Act 1989 and Children (Leaving Care) Act 2002. 

Asylum seekers

Information about the housing and support rights of asylum seekers. 

Help for ineligible migrants

The housing options for migrants who are not eligible for assistance under Part 7 of the Housing Act 1996. 

LGBTQ housing options

This section looks at problems that lesbians, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people may face in accessing and keeping accommodation. 

Back to top