This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Young people and care leavers housing rights

This content applies to England

Housing rights and options of young people and care leavers, including the duties of local authorities towards them.

Young people and care leavers housing options

Temporary and permanent housing options for young people and the financial help allowing them to access and pay for accommodation. 

Tenancies for under 18s

The legal position of minors regarding holding a tenancy, as they have a limited capacity to enter into a legally binding contract. 

Local authority duties to homeless 16 and 17 year olds

Duties and powers of housing departments and social services towards homeless young people and care leavers. 

Accommodation for homeless young people

Powers of social services to provide financial assistance and accommodation to homeless young people aged under 18 and their families. 

Duties to children leaving care

Social services must prepare children for leaving care, assist care leavers and publish information relating to what support they offer. 

Duties towards children in need

Social services must assess children’s needs and keep the assessment up-to-date in order to decide what services should be provided. 

Accommodation for children in need

Duty of social services to provide accommodation to certain children in need in their area who cannot live with their families. 

Housing and social services cooperation

Local authority protocols and legislative framework on joint working responsibilities towards young people and care leavers. 

Challenges to social services housing decisions

The ways in which an assessment or decision made by a local authority under the Children Acts can be challenged. 

Back to top