This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Rights of secure tenants

This content applies to England

Additional statutory rights of secure tenants.

The information on this page applies equally to tenants with Flexible tenancies, unless advised otherwise.

Assignment and succession are dealt with on a separate page.

Lodgers and subletting

A secure tenant has the right to take in a lodger.[1] S/he does not need the landlord's consent.

A secure tenant can sublet part of the home with the landlord's written consent.[2] The landlord cannot unreasonably withhold consent. Consent can be given retrospectively.[3]

A secure tenant cannot sublet the whole of the home, if s/he does her secure status ends and cannot be regained. It is also a criminal offence, see Social housing fraud for more details on this and unlawful profit orders.

Right to exchange

Secure tenants can exchange their homes with other secure tenants or with assured tenants of a private registered provider of social housing (ie housing association) or of a housing trust that is a charity.[4] If a secure tenant exchanges with an assured tenant, the former will become an assured tenant and the latter will be come a secure tenant. Exchanges are affected by a formal document called a deed of assignment.

A flexible tenant can exchange their home with a secure tenant or an assured tenant of a private registered provider of social housing or of a housing trust that is a charity.[5] The rules governing consent from the landlord are broadly similar to the above, however the 'swap' is not affected by way of assignment, as such an existing flexible tenant who 'exchanges' will get a new flexible tenancy of their new home.

These are often called 'mutual exchanges'. Each tenant exchanging must get the permission of her/his landlord, but the landlord can only refuse permission on specified grounds. For more information on the rules see Assignment: Secure and flexible tenancies.

Some local authorities operate mutual exchange schemes to help tenants find someone to exchange homes with.

Information on exchanging tenancies is also available from

Right to repair scheme and improvements

If the local authority does not carry out a 'qualifying repair' within a certain time limit, then under the right to repair scheme the tenant may by able to make the local authority appoint a new contractor, and/or be paid compensation.[6] To be a 'qualifying' repair the landlord must decide that it will cost less than £250. There are other qualifying conditions, for more information see Local authority tenants: additional remedies.

A secure tenant must not carry out any improvements without the written consent of the landlord, however consent must not be unreasonably withheld and if it unreasonably withheld it is to be treated as given. A secure tenant of a local authority may have the right to be compensated for improvements that s/he carries out to her/his property. The compensation is only paid for certain types of improvement and can only be claimed at the end of the tenancy.[7] A flexible tenant does not have any right to carry out improvements or to receive compensation for improvements made.[8]

Right to information

Local authorities must publish information for tenants about the terms of their tenancies, the right to buy and repairing obligations, and must provide written tenancy agreements. [9]

Right to be consulted

Local authorities must consult and take into account tenants' views on matters of housing management.[10] Housing management includes the maintenance, improvement or demolition of council properties held under secure tenancies, and services provided to council tenants. It does not include rent or service charges.

A local authority landlord must publish details of how (and on what) it will consult. It must make a copy of the consultation details available free of charge at its offices, and provide copies on demand (for which it may charge). Tenants must be allowed to make their views known to the authority within a specified period and the authority must consider any representations made to it under the consultation.

Right to buy/rent to mortgage

Tenants have a right to buy their property[11] as long as they meet the necessary criteria (see the section on Buying LA and PRPSH housing). Shared ownership schemes are dealt with in the Shared ownership section.

Right to manage

Secure tenants have the right to set up a Tenant Management Organisation (TMO) in order to manage their properties.[12]

Local authorities and TMOs must have regard to statutory guidance on the right to manage.[13]

[1] s.93(1)(a) Housing Act 1985.

[2] s.93(1)(b) Housing Act 1985.

[3] s.94(4) Housing Act 1985.

[4] s.92 Housing Act 1985.

[5] s.158 Localism Act 2011.

[6] s.96 Housing Act 1985; Secure Tenants of Local Housing Authorities (Right to Repair) Regulations 1994 SI 1994/133.

[7] s.97 and s.99A Housing Act 1985; Secure Tenants of Local Authorities (Compensation for Improvements) Regulations 1994 SI 1994/613.

[8] s.155(3) and (4) Localism Act 2011.

[9] s.104 Housing Act 1985.

[10] s.105 Housing Act 1985; Bokrosova v Lambeth LBC [2015] EWHC 3386 (Admin).

[11] s.118 Housing Act 1985.

[12] s.27AB Housing Act 1985; Housing (Right to Manage) Regulations 1994 SI 1994/627; Housing (Right to Manage) (England) Regulations 2012 SI 2012/1821.

[13] reg.4(3)(b) Housing (Right to Manage) (England) Regulations 2012 SI 2012/1821.

Back to top