Court and tribunal fees

A court fee is usually payable when a claim or an action is started in a court or tribunal. Fees depend on the type of action being taken.

This content applies to England & Wales

Level of fee

The level of the fee will principally depend upon:

  • the type of action or claim being made

  • the court or the tribunal in which the claim is made. Fees for the High Court are higher than those in the county court

  • whether the claim is made online or not

  • when it is a money claim, the amount being claimed.

In respect of the action or claim being made there are, for example, separate fees for:

  • issuing a claim for possession

  • issuing a claim for possession online

  • filing an appeal against a possession order

  • applying for a warrant of possession

  • issuing a claim for permission to apply for judicial review.

Full details of the fees for court action are available from the HM Courts and Tribunals Service.

See Section 9 of the LEASE Guide to Applying to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) for more information on fees payable to a tribunal in actions concerning residential accommodation.

Paying the fee

The fee is payable by the claimant, except where a case proceeds on a counterclaim alone, when the fee is payable by the defendant.

The fee can be paid:

  • in person, at a court or tribunal by cheque, cash, debit or credit card

  • by post, with a cheque made out to 'HM Courts and Tribunals Service'

  • online, when a claim is made using the money claim online or possession claim online service.

Fee exemptions

People on a low income, on benefits, or receiving a small amount of services can apply for the fee to be waived or reduced. Court leaflet EX160A provides further information.

Help with paying fees is known as 'fee remission'.

Last updated: 18 January 2021